In light of current uncertainty, what are the plans for future buckwheat giveaways?
We canceled our buckwheat events in response to the COVID-19 physical distancing requirements. However, we are giving away free California ‘Dana Point’ buckwheat plants to homeowners who go to Tree of Life Nursery or Roger’s Gardens (while supplies last). Check their web sites for business hours and availability.
What is the goal of this campaign?
The California Native Plant Society, Orange County (OCCNPS) chapter created A Buckwheat in Every Garden to distribute California ‘Dana Point’ buckwheat plants to Orange County homeowners. The goal of the campaign is to give away starter buckwheat plants to help Orange County homeowners improve wildlife and habitat value in their home landscapes.
Who cultivated the buckwheat plants for the campaign?
Cultivation of the ‘Dana Point’ buckwheat plants began last summer by Tree of Life Nursery. Mike Evans, owner of Tree of Life Nursery, found the ‘Dana Point’ buckwheat at the Dana Point Headlands and selected it for cultivation because it showed a smaller, more compact growth habit than the California buckwheat (Eriogonum fasciculatum).
How are the plants distributed?
OCCNPS partners with cities, garden clubs, and nonprofit groups to distribute buckwheat plants to homeowners throughout Orange County.
How many plants have been distributed so far?
Last fall, OCCNPS distributed 1,400 buckwheat plants to homeowners throughout Orange County.
OCCNPS’s original goal was to distribute 1,500 buckwheat plants to Orange County homeowners, but demand was so high that the goal was increased to 2,500 buckwheat plants. Buckwheat distribution was scheduled to continue through April 2020, but all April events have been cancelled due to Coronavirus precautions.
Where can I get my free ‘Dana Point’ California buckwheat?
- April 4-5, 2020: Fullerton Arboretum Green Scene, Fullerton, from 9 to 4 each day. Cancelled
- April 11, 2020: Irvine Ranch Conservancy Wildflower Showcase, Irvine Ranch Conservancy, Irvine. Cancelled
- April 23-26, 2020: South Coast Plaza Garden Show, Costa Mesa, from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day. Cancelled
- April 25, 2020: OCCNPS will distribute buckwheat plants at the Dana Point Headlands Earth Day Celebration from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Dana Point, California. 150 plants scheduled to be distributed. Check this page for up-to-date information. Cancelled
- May 8, 2020: Irvine Ranch Conservancy Volunteer and Partner Celebration, Irvine Ranch Conservancy. Cancelled
Who is paying for this campaign?
OCCNPS is a 501(c)(3) California non-profit organization. A Buckwheat in Every Garden is funded by our small treasury, and is operated with all volunteer labor.
The buckwheat plants are given away in exchange for the homeowner’s street and city. OCCNPS is mapping the plants as they are installed on an iNaturalist map. You can see the plants as they are installed at the A Buckwheat in Every Garden iNaturalist page.
What buckwheat giveaway events have been completed to date?
Completed BIEG events are listed below:
- October 5: Acorn Day, O’Neill Regional Park, Trabuco Canyon, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 96 plants distributed.
- October 12: Laguna Beach Smart Scape Expo 2019, 306 Third Street, Laguna Beach, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., 64 plants distributed.
- October 17: OCCNPS General Meeting, Duck Club, Irvine, 7 p.m., 78 plants distributed.
- October 18: Sea & Sage Audobon, Duck Club, Irvine, 7 p.m., 16 plants distributed.
- October 19: Orange Home Grown Education Farm, 356 N. Lemon St., Orange, 10 a.m. to noon., 48 plants distributed. Thea Gavin planted a two-gallon ‘Dana Point’ buckwheat on site and made a presentation about how buckwheat helps increase pollinators for fruit trees.
- October 22-24: Roger’s Gardens, 2301 San Joaquin Hills Rd., Corona del Mar, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 160 plants distributed.
- October 26: Tree of Life Nursery, 33201 CA-74 on Ortega Hgwy., San Juan Capistrano, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 87 plants distributed.
- October 29: H2O for HOA’s, Laguna Niguel Water District, Laguna Hills Community Center, 8 a.m. to noon, 16 plants distributed.
- November 1-3: Roger’s Gardens, 2301 San Joaquin Hils Rd., Corona del Mar, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 240 plants distributed.
- November 1: Fullerton Arboretum, Fullerton, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., 96 plants distributed.
- November 6: San Clemente Garden Club, St. Andrews Church, 2001 Calle Frontera, San Clemente, 1 p.m., 86 plants distributed. OCCNPS Chapter President Brad Jenkins spoke about integrating wild land plants into your garden.
- November 8: Laguna Beach Garden Club, 415 Forest Ave., Laguna Beach, 9:30 to noon., 16 plants distributed.
- November 8: Sherman’s Gardens Lunch and Learn, Corona del Mar, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 48 plants distributed.
- November 10: St. Mark Presbyterian Church, 2200 San Joaquin Hills Rd., Corona del Mar, 9 a.m., 48 plants distributed.
- November 15: City of Dana Point, DP Community Center, 34052 Del Obispo, Dana Point, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 215 plants distributed. Representatives from the Friends of the Dana Point Headlands (where this buckwheat originated), Doheny State Beach, and San Onofre State Beach all helped promote and hand out buckwheats at this fun OCCNPS event.
- December 7: Shipley Nature Center, 17851 Goldenwest Street, Huntington Beach, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 70 plants distributed.
- January 11, 2020: OCCNPS Vice President Ron Vanderhoff spoke at the Orange County Master Gardeners meeting in Irvine, California. Sixty-five ‘Dana Point’ buckwheat plants were given away at this event.
- January 14-17: Roger’s Gardens , 2301 San Joaquin Hills Rd., Corona del Mar, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 100 plants were distributed.
- January 20: San Juan Capistrano Garden Club, San Juan Capistrano, 9:30 a.m. to noon. 96 plants were distributed.
- February 11: Orange County Organic Garden Club, Santa Ana. 16 plants were distributed.
- February 20: Orange Coast College Sustainability Fair, Costa Mesa. 96 plants were distributed.
- March 12: Arbor Day Celebration, Laguna Beach, CA. Cancelled.